_What is S.T.O.P.?
We are a group of high school students that recognize the importance of the Western Burrowing Owl in our community. With less than 20 pairs left, this species - vital to the biodiversity of California and beyond - is in great danger and in need of your help. Join us in our campaign to preserve, protect, and promote the welfare of the Western Burrowing Owl throughout Greater San Diego County.
HOW YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE:
1. Purchase our online merchandise. We offer attractive t-shirts and keychains at reasonable prices. Buy one now and save a burrowing owl today!
2. Attend a fundraiser. Join us at one of our benefits for the Athene cunicularia. We organize various fundraisers year-round. In the past, we've organized swap meets and garage sales all through out San Diego County.
3. Donate. Every dollar counts...
4. Promote our cause. Talk about the burrowing owl to spread the word. Write letters. Play our online game at www.owlgame.weebly.com, wear our wristbands and T-shirts, etc. SIGN OUR PETITION AT: www.thepetitionsite.com/174/554/099/save-western-burrowing-owls/.
5. Keep burrowing owls in your area safe. Supervise or leash your pets outdoors. Don't disturb tunnels or burrows in the ground. Inform your neighbors and friends.
6. Watch our documentary, "Owls in Peril", to learn more about who we are, what we do, etc.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IYpy4jcqP8.
7. Check out our Scrapbook! http://issuu.com/sdburrowingowls/docs/save_the_owls_project
What we've done so far:
350 squirrels relocated
20 owls banded and settled in
TOTAL: 20 + 350 = 370 lives changed
250 elementary school students educated via direct presentation
205 mixed students and adults via direct presentation
500 high school students via publication in the local science journal
972 educated through our online petition
172,360 Informed via direct email to the Defenders of Wildlife email list
4,824 Informed via direct email to the Petition Site Center email list
1238 educated through visits to this website
396 educated through playing the owl game
250 local officials and construction companies educated via direct letters sent
150 educated by flyer
TOTAL: 250 + 205 + 500 + 961 + 172,360 + 4,824 + 1,238 + 396 + 250 + 150 = 181,134 successfully educated
$2700 raised through direct donation
$5208 raised through online support
$300 from merchandise sales
$100 from community support
TOTAL: 2,700 + 5,208 + 300 + 100 = $8,308 successfully raised